Friday, March 13, 2009

Hooray for my awesome choirs!

I returned just a bit ago from our annual state competition.  The academic portion of it was held yesterday, and the music portion was held today.  I am one tired choir director, but tired in a good way.  My choirs and I have worked for months on the two songs that they each had to perform today.  It is always such tough competition with the choirs, but I'm happy to say that my jr. high choir placed 2nd and my jr. high ladies group placed third.  My highschool choir did an awesome job even though they did not place.  Last year (my first year), I had a lot more vocal leaders...but this year I was faced with the challenges of students who felt like they couldn't sing or who had never been in a choir before. So, looking at it from that point of view, I can honestly say we did our best today with all that we did.  That is all God expects from us, too, right? 

One of my biggest desires is that my students would love to serve God with their talents. Singing isn't always the easiest thing to do in front of a crowd, but if they can look beyond that and serve God with all they have, then that would be so awesome!  We prepare well to be excellent and to give glory to God in all that we do.  A verse that I shared recently with the choirs is,

"Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."  I Corinthians 10:31

We've got just a couple months left of school this year, which includes one final concert.  I'm sure the things we learn from reading the judging forms will help us improve for this next performance. I'm excited to continue helping my choirs improve their singing, but most importantly sing to the glory of God. 

No comments: