Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Yummy Gummi Candy

Last month I saw a recipe for homemade gummi candy and I couldn't wait to try it out. I found the recipe at Skip to My Lou, a blog dedicated to all things creative! I had to first acquire candy molds which I didn't have until recently. First, I found a teddy bear one at Hobby Lobby for less than two dollars with a coupon. Then, just last night, I found this ice cube mold at the local dollar store....

I got excited, so I included Kyla in on the fun this morning. The whole time while I stirred the gelatin in the pot, she kept saying, "That smells good!" I chose raspberry flavored gelatin for our yummy treats.

This is a great view of one of the teddy bear molds, but it didn't come out as detailed on the candy. No worries because they tasted great!

Here's how to put it all together:

Homemade Gummi Candy

1 -3 ounce box of flavored gelatin
1 -1/4 ounce packages of unflavored gelatin
1/3 cup water
2 candy molds

Place the water in a small sauce pan. Sprinkle both packages of gelatin over the water. Let sit 5-10 minutes. (If you like chewier gummi candy, you can add in another packet of unflavored gelatin.)

Place saucepan over medium heat and stir until gelatin is dissolved, about 2-5 minutes. When mixture has turned to liquid and all gelatin has dissolved, remove from heat. Let cool a minute and then pour into a container that is easy to pour. (I used a ceramic creamer bowl.)

Fill molds with mixture. Allow to cool completely, about 20 minutes. They may be placed in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes if you want to speed up the process. Once cool, the backs can be lightly dusted with cornstarch if desired.

Here's what they looked like when they were all done...

Don't they look great? Since the ice cube tray molds are deeper then candy molds, I only filled them half way. I used a toothpick to get them out and it worked well. To give you an idea on their size, I took this picture with one of the heart candies:

The bears are slightly larger, but still a good size. After her nap, Kyla enjoyed eating some of these. She thought they were awesome! They are perfect for little fingers and kids of all ages.

Enjoy these with the kids in your life. Experiment with different flavors, too. I'm sure they will love them.:)

No comments: