Saturday, January 10, 2009

Raspberry Coconut Bars

Earlier this week, we had a special dinner for our youth sponsors.  My husband invited everyone over for a dinner of fruit salad, swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes and rolls.  He put me in charge of choosing a fancy dessert, so I checked my Taste of Home Cookbook to look for ideas.  I had noticed this recipe before, so I thought it would be good.  Some people are not too fond of coconut, but the taste and texture is pretty light and scrumptious in this recipe.  We all loved this dessert--the coconut layer reminded us of a Mounds candy bar!  Enjoy!

Raspberry Coconut Bars

1- 2/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted
2-2/3 cups flaked coconut
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup seedless raspberry preserves
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup vanilla or white chips

In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and butter.  Press into greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.  Sprinkle with coconut; drizzle with milk.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool completely on a wire rack.

Spread preserves over the crust.  Sprinkle with walnuts.  In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth.  Drizzle over walnuts.  Repeat with vanilla chips.  (I actually swirled both chocolates on top with a toothpick to get a neat design.) Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until chocolate-vanilla drizzle is set.  Cut into bars.  Yield:  3 dozen bars.

3 comments:

Erin said...

You just keep tempting me don't you. Not very nice, but it looks so scrumptious.

Anonymous said...

That looks so luscious! I'm trying not to look at the picture too much lest it tempt me on this dreadful diet. :)

Thanks for leaving your blog address so I could add it to my blog reader!

Anonymous said...

I love raspberries and chocolate! This recipe looks easy so I will give it a try! Thanks Theo!!
Christina