Friday, January 9, 2009

Molten Chocolate Cake

Both Quentin and I had recipes that were a tradition to eat during the Christmas season.  His family focused on a Christmas Eve dinner and my family has had a Christmas Day brunch for several years now.  I decided that it would be fun to start something new for us to enjoy making and eating together as our own new family.:)  Thus, the molten cake recipe was added!  

We decided to wait until after we got back from California to celebrate our own little Christmas.  Right before we opened gifts, we read the Christmas story and enjoyed these little treats.  I did something different with them this year; instead of adding regular chocolate to it, I used a Symphony chocolate bar--still delicious, of course!

Molten Chocolate Cakes (also called lava cakes)

4 squares semi-sweet baking chocolate
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
6 Tablespoons flour

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Butter 4 (3/4 cup) custard cups (ramekins).  Place on baking sheet.  Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl.  Stir with whisk until chocolate is melted.  Stir in sugar.  Whisk in eggs and egg yolks.  Stir in flour.  Divide batter between prepared custard cups.  Bake 13-14 minutes.  Let stand 1 minute.  Carefully run small knife around cakes to loosen.  Invert cakes onto dessert dishes.  Serve immediately.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I've always wanted to make this. I may to have try it out sometime.

Erin said...

No. I don't have any attachments to my Kitchen Aid. I don't even know all that is available. I don't want to so I don't covet. :)

Anonymous said...

Another easy simple recipe and I love chocolate!!! Thanks Theo, when the weather gets colder like in November I will give it a try!!
Christina