Monday, January 19, 2009

A Provoking Thought...

Last night at church, one of our missionaries came to give a testimony and preach in the service. The Rudolph's minister in Cape Town, South Africa.  They do an amazing work and have such a great testimony for our Lord!

Mr. Rudolph preached from 2 Corinthians, focusing on chapter 2, verses 15-17:

For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:  To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life.  And who is sufficient for these things?  For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God:  but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ."

His main emphasis was that of building relationships with those we want to see come to Christ. He shared several stories of how he and his family do this in South Africa.  Being a "sweet savour" to those around us means sharing the love of Christ in every day life.  He gave ideas such as having people over for dinner, engaging in simple conversations about hobbies and work, and merely just being their friend.

One provoking thought that he repeated a few times was this:  How often do we pray for and seek diligently those who we want to come to Christ?  It was such a convicting thought to me because I can think of neighbors that I know that I haven't been praying for and haven't been reaching out to.  It is time for me to start praying and take action.  Perhaps I can make a baked good or hand-made gift...or I can invite them over for some hot chocolate or dinner.  I'm sure that as I seek the Lord on this, He'll help me reach out to the lost in my neighborhood.

Will you do the same?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post Theo. I have recently discovered too that outside my main ministry which is to Buddy, I also have a huge ministry with my neighbors as you have stated in this post. Thanks Theo for sharing ways to reach out to those God purposely put in our lives.
Christina