Thursday, June 24, 2010

My first real knitting project

After getting involved with the kids' knitting class at the library, I was hooked with this new craft. I found the needles and yarn from the beginners knitting kit I had tried before and started over. The kit and instructions to make a scarf originally came from Harrisville Design Company, but I found it at the local thrift store for just a quarter. 

The wool yarn is actually two thin pieces twisted together to make it a chunky ball of yarn. The colors are so pretty. 

I used size 13 needles and cast on ten stitches instead of nine like the instructions said. The entire scarf was made with the garter stitch (knit stitch). With the four-inch fringe on both ends the scarf measures approximately sixty inches long.

This skinny scarf is only four inches in width, but I think it would be fine for any lady or young girl. I'll be giving mine away to a special little person in my life, and I know she will love it! I can't wait to learn the purl stitch so I can have more options for future projects. 

What new craft have you been enjoying lately? I thought I would never learn to knit and enjoy it...but I really do! It has been a great way for me to relax in the evenings. Happy knitting!:)

2 comments:

Erin said...

Great job! It's beautiful!

Theo-Ann said...

Thanks, Erin.:)