Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Lovin' those lemons: delicious lemon smoothie

Summer has just begun, but I've already have had lots of these...

My blender is getting a workout this year! I've had a few orange smoothies and have added in some fruit to it, but today was the first time I tried making a lemon smoothie. It was sooo good! Since I like Sonic's lemon cream slush, I thought I'd try using the same base recipe as I've done with the other smoothies to see if I could make it myself. It ended up tasting pretty close to the original. The only thing I noticed that was different was that mine didn't have any crushed ice in it, although I put some ice cubes in at the beginning. I probably crushed the ice too long...oh well! I can try it again soon.:)

The recipe I've been using is called "No Egg" Orange Julius and it comes from Camp Ironwood's cookbook called, Come and Dine. You can use any flavored juice concentrate that you like. With the lemon one, I just used Minute Maid lemonade concentrate. You can also feel free to add berries, bananas or any other fruit to the mix. Enjoy!

No Egg Orange Julius

6 ounces frozen orange juice concentrate
1 cup milk
1 cup water (if you want your smoothie thicker, you can replace the water and use all milk)
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
10-12 ice cubes

Place all ingredients in a quart capacity blender or food processor with chopping blade. Process until slushy consistency is achieved an serve immediately. Makes about 5 cups.

No comments: