Monday, March 1, 2010

"Roll the dice" review game

Last week, I bought a package of five giant dice at the local dollar store. I wanted to have them on hand to use for review games with the kids at church. During my preparation time this past weekend, I thought of a way to use them. 

Our lessons have been on the life of Elisha. I chose a verse that we could work on for a few weeks that talk about God's power. Elisha couldn't do all those wonderful miracles without God, so this is a great verse--"For thou art great, and doest wondrous things; thou art God alone." Psalm 86:10

After I had the kids recite the verse a couple times, we played a review game. To play the game, I wrote the verse on the white board, then put a number underneath each word. I wrote it all out on a sheet of paper to show you what I did:

I gave either one or two dice at a time to one of the kids to roll. Whatever total number was shown, that was the word that I erased. After each turn, we recited the verse. By the time we did this several times, not much of the verse was left on the board. I remember playing the "erase the word" game on the chalkboard when I was a kid. Adding the dice gives this old game a new twist. The kids really liked it, so perhaps we'll play it again some time.

No comments: