Thursday, March 18, 2010

O is for One and Only Son

We had a wonderful time learning some things about God's only son Jesus, at Kids' Bible Club.

Bible time: I told short stories, highlighting some main events in Jesus' life. I began with his birth, then talked about His ministry, then ended with his death and resurrection. 

The memory verse was John 3:16 which says, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. We played The Secret Word game to review the verse. This was another idea from CEF. After explaining the verse and reciting the verse a few times, I had Mieka and Skylar write down a couple words from the lesson that they thought was the secret word. I told them before the story to be thinking of this. After they gave me their choices, I opened up the envelope and revealed the word. It was "love." Because God loved us so much, He sent Jesus to earth to die for our sins. The word was repeated in the story and in our verse.

Craft time: The kids made these "Jesus flags" using craft foam, straws and letters cut out from magazines. You can also use construction paper for this project. Before making these, we wrote out a list of the names of God. They both decided to do the same name--Lord. After gluing on each letter, I gave them the opportunity to decorate the rest of the flag with markers. Then, they taped the straws on so that they can wave their flag.

Snack time: The kids enjoyed making "O" necklaces using some yarn and Fruit Loops. I let them eat the broken cereal pieces as they worked, then I filled a snack bag for them to eat later.

Skylar made his necklace using two colors of his favorite football team--the Broncos. Mieka ended making hers into a bracelet. 

Can you guess who "P" stands for? I'll give you a clue: think about a man who praised God in a prison cell. Hmmmm....

No comments: