Thursday, March 11, 2010

N is for Noah and the Ark

This week's theme in Kids' Bible Club was "N is for Noah and the Ark." We had a lot of rainbows to talk about, paint and eat! You'll see them as you keep reading... 

Bible Time: The story is found in Genesis chapters 6-9. The Bible account begins with God telling Noah how to build the ark. It ends with Noah and his family giving thanks to God as a rainbow appears in the sky as a promise that He'll never flood the earth again.

The memory verse was Genesis 9:13 which says, "I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth." I chose to do a treasure hunt with them to learn the verse. The idea for this came from Child Evangelism Fellowship. I wrote out the verse on a couple sheets of paper, using wide spacing between the lines. I cut the lines apart to make the strips. Then, I folded each piece and taped each one to a different spot around the downstairs area of the church. I wrote out a few clues and read them one at a time as they found the strips.

The clues we did were the following: "It's a fine place to sit down for a bite." (table) 
  "Keys that make music" (piano) 
  "Where there's dishes, there is a _____." (sink)
  "You've come to the right place if you're thirsty." 
(drinking fountain)
  "Don't hang up your dreams." (coat rack)

You could also do--"Where there's chalk, there's dust!" (chalkboard) or "God's Word is sharper than a sharpened pencil." (pencil sharpener)

When they were done gathering all the strips of paper, they placed them on the table in the correct order. Mieka and Skyler had a lot of fun with this review game.

Craft time: The kids painted rainbows using watercolor pencils. I showed them how to spread the colors using a paintbrush after adding some color with the pencils. They also painted the rainbows in the correct color order--red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet.

When they were done, they glued on some cotton for the clouds. I cut out the rainbows, punched a hole and added some yarn so that they could be hung up anywhere. They decided to tie them around their necks before they left to go home.

Snack time: Skylar helped me put this rainbow salad together. I chose five fruits, all of a different color. Kiwi, red grapes, pineapple chunks, blueberries and tangerine slices made up our beautiful rainbow. We also made clouds using whipped cream. The kids enjoyed making their own mini rainbows on their plates before eating it up!

Come back next time to find out what the letter "o" is for! You're really going to like this one!:)

6 comments:

Abigail said...

That is a super cute snack idea! The rainbow looks fun!

I was wondering if while you are here in April we should attempt to make that rainbow cake recipe I sent you awhile back for Carson's 1st birthday!? Hmmm, a thought!

Unknown said...

Hey ~
You don't know me, but I found your blog while looking to see what Pastor Redlin is up to these days. Congratulations on your marriage to Quentin. I was in youth group with him @ the Campus Church. I hope you both are doing well, and please tell him and Pastor Redlin "hi" for me. Love the ideas on your blog!!
Rachel (Woolf) Pereira

Theo-Ann said...

Glad you liked the ideas, ladies.:) Hope you can use them with your kiddos or at church.

Missy said...

Theo,

I agree with Abigail that your rainbow snack is super cute (not to mention healthy!) Where did you find that idea?

I'm continuing to enjoy your blog and wanted to thank you for the time that you invest in it.

Theo-Ann said...

Hi Missy! It was great to hear from you. Glad you like the rainbow snack idea. The idea came from the book I've been using to do the alphabet Bible stories each Wednesday. It's called A-Z Bible stories by Teacher Created Materials. I found it at a thrift store for about a buck and I'm so glad I did.:) The only thing I did differently on the snack is that I added the clouds with whipped cream. There are also more possibilities with other kinds of fruit, too. Have fun with this.:)

Missy said...

I think I am going to try to order that book.

Your rainbow craft is similar to a craft that I have done with kids here in Romania many times, but I think your craft is maybe simpler. The rainbows that we have made were using the outer half of half of a paper plate. (I cut out the centers of the plates and save them to make "empty tomb" Easter cards for the children.) I have the kids use crayons to color each ridge of the paper plate a different color and then at the ends staple on paper clouds with a Bible verse written on them.