Saturday, March 27, 2010

Easter crafts with meaning

I've got a couple Easter crafts to show you that are not only fun, but meaningful too. I'm not totally opposed to egg hunts, candy, bunnies and chicks (in moderation), but those don't reflect the true meaning of the holiday. It seems like every year we're bombarded more and more with the commercialization of Christian holidays that at times, it's hard to find ways to celebrate Christ and all He's done for us.

You may remember that I posted a tutorial on how to make your own set of resurrection eggs. It's a great thing for the entire family to get involved with.

An easy craft I did with my kindergarteners was this "He is Risen" stained-glass window:

They colored the picture with crayons, pressing hard as they did so. I told them to use lots of colors and to make sure that not a trace of white paper showed when they were done. The next step was to dip a cotton ball into some vegetable oil, then rub it onto the back of the picture. You just want to give it a light coating then let it dry. Once it's dry, place a paper frame around it. Now, you're ready to hang it on a window.

If you'd like a copy of the picture I have, I can send it to you via e-mail. Write me a comment with your e-mail (I'll make sure not to post your comment). If you've got your own Easter picture, follow the steps above to make your own stained-glass window.

Jesus is the reason for the season. Aren't you glad He died for our sins, rose again and is now in Heaven waiting for us?:) 

What Easter crafts do you do with your family that celebrate the real meaning of the holiday? If you want some more ideas, check these out as part of the "Frugal Easter Eggstravaganza!"

2 comments:

Maria said...

What a fabulous idea for an Easter card!Would you please send me the picure?
Best Wishes

Maria

m.nicolas@ntlworld.com

Happy Home Fairy said...

I love your stained glass window! I'd love for you to pop on over to www.happyhomefairy.com to see some of my favorite inspirational Easter crafts!