Monday, January 11, 2010

Puppet Theater Kit: felt pouches for storage

The final items I made for the puppet theater kit were these felt pouches to store the puppets and the sets of clothes. 

These were so simple to make and could also be used for other things. They can be travel pouches for kids on the go. Kids would love having their very own pouch on a car trip to hold their very special things--coloring books, crayons, card games, reading books, etc. Pretty fun, eh? My latest thought on this would be to sew on a strap and use it for carrying library books. Hmmm...I'm thinking I may just make one this week!

I used two 9x12-inch sheets of felt for the storage part of the pouch. The flap was made using half a sheet. I first stitched the two big pieces together, then stitched on the flap to one of those pieces. I sewed on two coordinating buttons, and cut slits on the flap to put them through. If you want to change the pouch from vertical to horizontal, just turn the felt sheets around. You'll have to cut a bigger piece for the flap, but it will look great this way.

I made a total of six pouches, two for each family. The button colors match the main felt color.

These were the kits ready to go--a spring tension rod, two puppet-filled pouches, and a stage curtain tied with ribbon. Q and I stuffed each set into a mailable poster tube and sent them off!:)

Hope these last few posts have given you ideas on making your own one-of-a-kind puppet theater kit for the kids in your life. Have fun!

2 comments:

Abigail said...

The kids really enjoyed this! I liked how you made the puppet to look like them! The kids really got a kick out of it and enjoyed coming up with their own stories!

Theo-Ann said...

I'm so glad they love them.:) They were really fun to make.