Monday, January 18, 2010

The beginning of a new ministry

Yesterday was Q's first Sunday as pastor of First Baptist Church in Lafayette, CO. The months leading up to this day have been full of planning, excitement and anticipation.

The entire day was a blessing. I was very proud of my husband being up there on stage as he led the services and preached excellent messages. A surprise visit by two families from our last church made it even more special. I knew they were coming, but Q did not. Between them were five kids ages four and under! It made lunch fun and interesting as we all sat around a big table at Red Lobster. The conversation was encouraging and our meal was great. By the end of the day, we were both pretty tired. As much as Q loves to preach, it exhausts him as he spends all of his energy in sharing God's Word.

Q has begun spending time in his office, studying and working on church business. After he left for his other job today, I went over to church and took a few pictures. 

Here's a peek into Pastor Johnson's new office....

This welcome sign was left there by Pastor Kemper. Above it was a sign with his name on it. I told Q we ought to put his name on the door soon.

The book shelves are empty now, but won't be for long. Currently, his many boxes of books are in a spare room at the church. I can't wait to see how he makes the office his own.

As I got closer to his desk, I noticed that his Bible was open next to his devotional book. Besides being a preacher, Q is a student of God's Word.

When I became Q's wife, I also became a pastor's wife as he was then a youth pastor. During that time, I learned some important things that I hope to continue on in the ministry here. I need to remember these things: love God, love and honor my husband, love others unconditionally, and be myself! Being in the ministry doesn't mean we are "superhuman" or perfect. Sometimes there are expectations from within and from others that could get overwhelming at times. It's a good thing to remember that no matter where God has called us, that we must love and obey Him first and foremost. Service and love to others will come forth out of the love we have for God. I hope that this is an encouragement to you as it is to me.

Thanks so much for all of your prayers and support. Continue to keep us in your prayers as we begin in this new ministry. 

2 comments:

Erin said...

Wow! Very exciting. I'm sure God has big things in store for you there.

Theo-Ann said...

Yes, it's exciting! Thanks for your prayers.