Thursday, December 10, 2009

G is for Goliath and David

Last night at our Kids' Bible Club, our theme was "G is for Goliath and David." It's the familiar story of how David used a stone and a slingshot to kill Goliath, the Philistine. God helped David conquer his foe!

Bible Time: After singing a couple songs including, "Only a boy named David," I told the story using the flannel graph set. We did a neat worksheet activity where we had to measure the pictures of David and Goliath using different objects.

We used a ruler, crayon, button and paperclip as our measurement guides. Goliath seemed to be about double the amount to that of David!

Our memory verse was part of I Samuel 17:45 which says, "Thou comest to me with a sword...but I come to thee in the name of the Lord." The game we played is another one from Child Evangelism Fellowship. It's called, "Fold the Page." I wrote the verse on a large sheet of construction paper. Then, after we practiced the verse a few times, I folded up a corner one at a time until there was nothing left to be seen!

Craft time: For our craft, we made "David's pouch of stones." At home, I made felt stones by putting a bit of fiberfill in each one and stitching around them with my sewing machine. I also cut out a piece of yarn and a 12x 12 inch piece of fabric for both Mieka and Skylar. On each stone they wrote a word to spell out the phrase, "The battle is the Lord's."

The kids put their stones on the fabric and tied it up with the yarn. I told them that they could share the story of David and Goliath with friends using their special pouch.

Snack time: I made a GIANT chocolate chip cookie to enjoy together. It went along with our Goliath theme. When we started our time together, I found out that it was Mieka's birthday. So, I found some candles in the kitchen and placed them on the "cookie cake." Unfortunately, I could not find any matches for her to blow out. We sang the birthday song to her and she pretended to blow out the candles. Lots of fun!!!

Come back next week for another exciting time at Kids' Bible Club!

2 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I love writing "The battle is the Lord's" on the stones, and very good idea to make them felt, instead of using real stones :)

Theo-Ann said...

Thanks.) The original directions for this suggested using real stones or ones made from cardboard. I really didn't want to use real stones, so that's when I thought of the felt idea.