Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas Star ornament

Almost every year during my Kindergarten teaching days, I made my students these felt star ornaments. I wanted to give them something handmade so that they could remember their kindergarten year. I still have a couple ornaments that teachers made for me and it's been a great memory for me.

Even though I'm not in the classroom anymore, I am able to do some of these same things in church ministries. I'm loving my time with Mieka and Skylar on Wednesday nights. God has been so good to give this ministry to me and to them, too. 

Tonight, we had our Christmas celebration, so I wanted to make them each a star ornament as my present to them.

This is the one I gave to Mieka. I placed low loft batting between the front and back pieces of sparkly felt before stitching it closed. The mouth was made using fabric paint. The googly eyes and felt hair bow were glued on using a hot glue gun. The sparkly pipe cleaner was added last, using glue as well.

Skylar's star looks almost the same except that he has on a bow tie. Both ornaments are approximately three inches in length. In past years, I've used a red ribbon for the girls' ornaments and a green ribbon for the boys' ornaments. I have sometimes added a border of glitter all around the edges of the star. I'm sure there can be more variations of this same design.

On the back side, I like to write the child's name using fabric paint. They always love finding their name. It gives such a personalized touch. In the classroom, I'd hang the ornaments up on the last day of school before Christmas vacation. Then, I'd help each student find his or her star on the tree.

Don't they look so cute hanging on the tree? Mieka and Skylar really liked this simple gift--and so will the kids in your life!

1 comment:

The Watts Family said...

Too Cute ~Thanks for sharing :)~Blessings Heather