Thursday, December 3, 2009

F is for Fish and Loaves

Mika, Skylar and I had another great time at Kid's Bible Club last night. For those of you who are new to my blog, I've been using a book called, Bible Stories from A to Z, published by Teacher Created Materials for our weekly lessons on Wednesday nights. Our lesson was "F is for Fish and Loaves."

Bible Time: I used the Betty Lukens flannel graph set to tell the story of how a boy gave his lunch to Jesus to be used so that five thousand people could be fed. Jesus performed a miracle by multiplying the five loaves and two fish the boy had to more than enough food. There were twelve baskets full after all the people were fed.

Our memory verse was the first part of Luke 6:38 which says, "Give, and it shall be given unto you;" For the review game, we played a game called, "Stop and Go" (a CEF idea), using the sign visuals from the song, "Stop and let me tell you..." Holding the go sign, I said a few words from the verse until I showed the stop sign. I pointed to one of the kids and they said the next word. Each time we did this I stopped at a different word. It was a great way to review this new verse.

Craft time: I cut out a small fish and loaf shape from a sponge for our painting activity. The kids stamped fish and loaves on a sheet of paper using different colors of paint.

To prep the craft, I folded down the two corners of the paper so that they met together in the middle and left a border on the bottom. On the bottom portion, the kids stamped five loaves and two fish. When they opened up the flaps, they stamped more fish and loaves. I helped them sprinkle glitter on their shapes before the paint dried. 

When the flaps are down, it looks like this. I wrote "Jesus performed a miracle!!" on the top of the paper. The kids are to use this craft as a way to share the story. When they get to the part when Jesus multiplied the food, they are to open up the flaps to show all the other fish and loaves.

Snack time: For our snack, we started off by having just two fish (goldfish crackers) and five loaves (pretzel sticks). But then when I said that Jesus performed a miracle and multiplied the food, the kids got to fill their cups full of snacks! 

Next week....the letter G! And the story with it is a BIG ONE! Come back to find out who we'll learn about.

No comments: