Monday, November 16, 2009

T-shirt refashion: pretty ruffle cardigan

When I was sorting through my closet this spring, I found a few things that could either be used again for the fabric, or could be made into something else. This long-sleeved t-shirt was not flattering at all and was actually getting a bit snug on me. So, what to do? Make it into a cardigan, of course!

The idea for this came from Sew Simple Magazine, volume 11. All you need is some ribbon, tulle, and a sewing machine. Cut down the middle of the front of the shirt. Then, cut out two pieces of tulle, (two inches in width) twice the length of your shirt from top to bottom. Do a gathering stitch on your sewing machine, and make some ruffles that will fit the length. Sew it on with a piece of ribbon on top and your done! Take a look...

I think it's so pretty and feminine. The edges of my ruffles starting unraveling, so I put some fray check on it. I think my tulle is actually organza. It's weave is finer and it's shiny, too. Either one would work just fine.

Pair your t-shirt cardigan with a white t-shirt like I did, or wear it with a tank top. I can wear this with a black skirt and it will be a great Sunday outfit for church.

What have you "refashioned" lately? Leave a link for all of us to see! :)

3 comments:

The Watts Family said...

Theo Ann that is just to cute! You never cease to amaze me with your fabulous craft ideas I think I know of a few tees that I would like to try this on. I also have a link to share I recently found a pattern to turn a tee into a ruffled cardigan that I have been wanting to try http://www.craftstylish.com/item/39771/how-to-restyle-a-t-shirt-into-a-ruffly-cardigan
Thanks for sharing ~Blessings Heather

Theo-Ann said...

That's a great link--I love it!

Tania said...

Love this idea. I have way more unflattering snug shirts than I care to count, but don't want to throw out. (-: