Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Embroidered baby hat

Our friends, Tony and Kristen, welcomed their third child, Caden Anthony last night. We got a call telling us of his arrival, so we decided to go see him at the hospital today. We brought gifts when the other two were born--flowers and Mountain Dew with Natalie and a small pocket knife with Tyler. I quickly put something together between last night and this morning, even putting the finishing touches on it on the way to the hospital today.

I made this bunny ear hat using blue knit material. I used McCall's pattern #3665 as a guide. I actually made the hat a bit smaller than the pattern because my first attempt just looked too big. Plus, I had not cut out the material on the grain so it wouldn't stretch right. So this second attempt came out much better. The picture above isn't the best quality because I was trying to take some pictures while the car was moving. The ones below are much better.

I really like the look of the "bunny ears" before they are tied into a knot.

Using some embroidery floss, I stitched a star and "little brother" on the hat. I used three strands of each color. Even though I didn't use a pattern, I'm glad it came out well with my first attempt at this. After making this one, I'd like to do more. It's a quick and easy handmade gift for a new baby in your life.

Before we arrived, we stopped at a sporting goods store. Q thought it would be fun to put in a fishing lore and a chocolate candy bar inside the hat. Tony and Kristen really liked the gifts. Caden is just adorable! He weighed in at a little more than eight pounds and has a lot of very blonde hair. I'm glad Q and I were able to go see him and his family today. It made our hearts smile.

4 comments:

The Watts Family said...

Oh how cute that hat is and what a sweet picture with the baby! That is an adorable gift you made! I definitely want to remember this one. Thanks for Sharing ~Blessings Heather ;D

Theo-Ann said...

Thanks, Heather. He is a cutie! His brother and sister have big blue eyes; I wonder if he'll have the same!:) So cute....

Tania said...

Love the hat! Thanks for sharing the news. I just saw Kristen not too long ago and have wondered if they had the baby. (-:

Theo-Ann said...

thanks, Tania. how are things going for you all? Perhaps we can e-mail and catch up!:)