Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Rice heating pad

When my mom came out to visit this past spring, she brought a rice heating pad with her. All she does is place it inside the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up and it helps her with headaches and other aches and pains. I borrowed it as well, as I was recovering from surgery at the time. Since then, I've wanted to make one for myself. I also thought that it would make a thoughtful gift for someone who has chronic pain, or is elderly, or who has just had surgery. I can already think how this neat hospitality gift would be a blessing to so many. Add it to a basket with some homemade soup, and you've got a delight for the hurting soul.

This fabric was a remnant from mom, who used a good portion for a project she was working on. I cut out two pieces measuring 11 3/4" x 5" before sewing a strip of grosgrain ribbon to the sides of each piece. I stitched all around the two long sides and one short side, leaving the end open to fill with rice. I didn't measure the amount, but I think I poured about two cups of rice inside. I didn't want it to be too heavy, but yet filled enough so that it works well. This heating pad is probably a bit longer than Mom's, but that's all right. It rests halfway around my neck and is long enough to help my lower back when it decides to kink up on me!

I added these bows to the tops of the ribbon using a hot glue gun. I figured that it would be nice to have something real cute to use as you're (writhing) in pain. Why not, right? I thought about adding buttons, but any embellishments like that would be bad in the microwave! I'm sure an embroidered monogram would work though. And absolutely no washing except for spot cleaning. I can only imagine the puffiness--or explosion--of all that rice after it's been through the wash!

2 comments:

The Watts Family said...

Very Nice I love the heat wraps I always had one on hand for my migraines but now I do not have a microwave so I used the old faithful hot water bottle. But I definitely need to make a cover for it ~Blessings Heather

Theo-Ann said...

thanks:) Hope you get that cover made soon.