Friday, July 24, 2009

My Garden: the labour of our hands

Q and I went over to the garden last night and the first thing I wanted to look at were my tomato plants. I was hoping that something exciting happened to them, and sure enough, it did! Look at that awesome green fruit...

These romas won't be green for long. While some are very tiny, a few are already full-size. They just need to get ripe! I'm excited to try making salsa, ketchup and spaghetti sauce. We already have a few canning supplies and I'm currently reading up on the topic.

The zucchini is appearing so quickly and in many different shapes. A couple of them were so huge while this one reminded us of a telephone. Too funny!

The summer squash is looking mighty nice. Can't wait to try some out soon.

A while back, our friend, Sam, said that this plant was a cross between a couple things and that it would produce some time of melon. Now that the fruit is up, it looks a lot like just a regular watermelon.

We filled up a box with the giant zucchini, lettuce, carrots, and more rhubarb. Today, I spent part of my day shredding zucchini, cutting up the rhubarb and freezing it all.

It's so neat to see the progress of these growing plants that God made for us to enjoy. I found the following passage of Scripture that seems to fit in with these plants that are the "labour of our hands", but I believe this passage is speaking about our walk with the Lord and the blessings we receive if we are faithful to Him.

Psalm 128:1-4

"Blessed is every one that feareth the Lord; that walketh in his ways. For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee. Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table. Behold, that thus shall the man be blessed that feareth the Lord."

No comments: