Saturday, June 6, 2009

Jr. High Parent/Teen Cookout

We had a super time yesterday at our annual jr. high parent/teen cookout. All the families that have a new seventh grader or eighth grader are invited to this event.

When everyone arrived, the teens got together to play basketball, while the parents mingled around the picnic tables.

Meanwhile, the burgers were grilling and the food was being set out on one of the tables. Each family was asked to bring either a side dish or dessert. We had an awesome selection of salads, chips, cookies and brownies.

When the juicy burgers were done cooking, we prayed and ate. Everyone filled their plate to the max! We had fun conversations around our outside dinner tables.

The jr. high guys had a wonderful time hanging out together. The young man second in from the left is our summer intern. His name is Andrew and he is currently attending West Coast Baptist College. He will be doing a myriad of things in our church, including helping my husband now and then with youth group activities. Each summer I'm reminded that Q was the intern who did so many things before he became the youth pastor. However, he was already done with college and grad school when he came out, so he was a few years older than Andrew. College kids look so young to me these days. I must be getting old...

And here I am with the best youth pastor in the world! I had to get this first summer picture of the two of us. The cookout turned out so well. We had a great time of fellowship with the parents and jr. high kids.

1 comment:

Menchu, Turning Winds said...

I miss activities like these. I used to think it was just a common event to attend to. But looking back now, I was glad I got to experience a get together with my friends and my parents got to know them and their folks also. This is a great bonding activity and I hope I get to experience this with my kids too.