Monday, May 31, 2010

Lovin' those lemons...

I have a BIG thing for lemons. They are one of my favorite fruits. I love how they smell, taste, and make other foods taste so good!

Since high school, I've had a favorite chocolate candy--the lemon truffle from See's Candies. It is divine! Every time we go to California to visit family, we just have to stop by and get some of these indulgent treats.

One of my scented lotions from Bath and Body Works is lemon. It's part of their summer vanilla collection. Try it and you'll smell so sweet!

I enjoy making lemon desserts and eating meals where lemons have been sprinkled on for added flavor. Fresh-squeezed lemon juice in water is an awesome variation from just "plain ol' water."

However...there is a certain lemon something that I have a hard time with because its taste varies from place to place....and that is ice cold lemonade. Sometimes it is too sweet, too watery, too sour and it is not pleasing to my taste buds at all! If any of you have a great recipe for this, I'd love to have it.:) I have tried Sonic's lemon cream slush and I really like that. This is my new treat for the summer.

I thought it would be fun to share some lemon recipes that I've tried (or want to try soon) and share them with you all this summer. Lemons are a refreshing taste for this new season upon us!

As promised, I wanted to start off by sharing the recipe for lemon gems from Taste of Home. I made these and bagged them up for some graduates as one of my gifts to them. You'll love its melt-in-your-mouth lemony taste! Enjoy!

Lemon Gems 

3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup colored nonpareils

Lemon icing:

1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel

In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon peel. Combine flour and cornstarch; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.

Shape into a 1-3/4-inch diameter roll; roll in nonpareils. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until firm.

Unwrap and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 9-11 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

In a small bowl, combine icing ingredients. Spread over cookies. Yield: 28 cookies

No comments: