These scrumptious bars were part of my birthday week and I just had to share the recipe with you. I found the recipe on allrecipes.com. Enjoy!
Almond-Raspberry Meringue Bars
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
7 ounces almond paste
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup seedless red raspberry jam
3 egg whites
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with greased aluminum foil.
2. To make the crust: In a large bowl mix together the butter, almond paste, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in one egg and the almond extract. Mix in the flour and stir until well blended.
3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden. Cool slightly, and spread the raspberry preserves over the crust.
4. In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar until peaks become stiff. Spread the meringue over the jam and sprinkle with coconut.
5. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until firm. Let cool on wire racks. Lift foil from pan and cut into 16 bars with a sharp knife.