Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Brunch Recipes

For the past few years, my family has had the tradition to have a Christmas Day Brunch.  My husband and I are leaving later on today to fly to San Francisco to spend the holidays with my side of the family.  My sister said to bring my brunch recipes again this year.  She and my mom also put something together, but I'll just include the two recipes that I usually make.

Egg Sausage Bake  

Use an 8x8 pan.  Serves 6.

6 slices of bread
1/2-3/4 lb. sausage
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
5 eggs
1 1/4-2/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (optional)

Cook and drain sausage.  If not ground, chop it up.  While sausage is cooking, cube bread and place in greased pan.  Beat eggs, stir in milk and mustard, and set aside.  Sprinkle cooked sausage over bread.  Sprinkle cheese over sausage.  Pour egg mixture over cheese.  Cover pan and refrigerate overnight.  Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Cinnamon Apple Brunch Bake

3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 can apple pie filling (21 oz.)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (12 oz.)
1/2 cup chopped nuts

In saucepan, melt butter, stir in brown sugar, pie filling, cinnamon and vanilla.  Spread half of apple mixture in 2-quart shallow baking dish.  Separate biscuits; cut each into quarters.  Arrange pieces, points up, over apple mixture.  Spoon remaining apple mixture over biscuits; sprinkle with nuts.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.  Let stand 5 minutes.  Serve warm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not a huge fan of cooking although my dad is a chef, went to 4 years of cooking school and all. But when I am inspired to cook which is not much, I do like cooking and baking only this simple recipes. I love these 2 recipes you shared today and I will give it a try for you made it look easy. Thanks Theo!! I do love to eat good foods!!
Christina