Friday, August 21, 2009

My Garden: the tomato experiment, part 1

After transplanting the tomatoes in our friend's garden, I noticed two small plants left in one of my big pots. I left them there for a while, and noticed that they weren't growing at all. I realized that the sandy soil they were in was stunting their growth.

So, in mid-July, I took these two plants and potted them in this ladybug pot I painted a few months back. I used better soil, and it really made a difference! The stronger plant began to grow, but the weaker one did not make it. I pulled it out so that the good one could flourish.

I've taken a picture each week to show the growth in my tomato plant.

Amazing, isn't it? I don't know for sure if I'll have tomatoes this fall, but it's worth a try.

The plant is strong and healthy and I hope it continues to do well.

I took this picture today and I continue to be amazed. I plan on putting it in a bigger pot to see if it will continue to grow and eventually give us some more roma tomatoes! (and it's not like we need anymore because we have about 30 plants bursting with tomatoes right now--just waiting for them to ripen!) I just wanted to experiment and see what would happen!

Next time...part 2 of "the tomato experiment"--will it get bigger or will it not make it at all? We'll just wait and see! :)

No comments: