Friday, September 17, 2010

Rejoicing in the Lord

I've been praising the Lord all week as I heard some good news from my doctor. I've had some health issues, so I've been visiting the clinic more often this past month or so. It wasn't clear as to what was going on, and thankfully, it's nothing serious.

During my time of wondering what was going on, the Lord comforted my heart. I've been through some pretty hard physical things these last three years, but this recent one got me really scared. I remembered that since the Lord helped me through two surgeries and emotional miscarriages, then he was going to help me through this one.

At a time when God has been doing some wonderful things in our lives, I wondered if this new health challenge would interrupt some of those things. My life is really in His hands, and I have to trust Him no matter what He puts in my path. His plans are always better than ours, even if we have to endure hard things.

I've been reading and studying Psalm 91 this past week. It's been a great encouragement to me. Read it some time, and you'll see what I mean. These few verses are my favorites:

"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust." (verses 1 &2)

"Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name." (verse 14)

There are people in the Bible that went through some hard circumstances--Job and Joseph are among my favorites. Despite physical hardships and opposition from even family, they continued to praise the Lord. It is my desire that with what seems to be my "thorn in the flesh" (health struggles), that I can praise the Lord and point others to do the same. I want Christ to be seen in me where ever I go, even when I'm hurting. God is working in me as I go through pain--and it's okay, because He is drawing me closer to Himself.

I love the words to the song, "Rejoice in the Lord" by Ron Hamilton. I've known it since I was a kid, but in recent years, it has brought tears to my face as it means so much to me now.

God never moves without purpose or plan,
When trying his servant and molding a man,
Give thanks to the Lord though your testing seems long;
In darkness He giveth a song.

I could not see through the shadows ahead;
So I looked at the cross of my Savior instead.
I bowed to the will of the Master that day;
Then peace came and tears fled away.

Now I can see testing comes from above;
God strengthens His children and purges in love.
My Father knows best, and I trust in His care;
Through purging more fruit I will bear.

O rejoice in the Lord. He makes no mistake.
He knoweth the end of each path that I take.
For when I am tried and purified,
I shall come forth as gold.

There are some of you out there that knew I was going through some things, so thanks for your prayers. I am continually resting in the Lord, knowing that His plans are always best. To God be the glory!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Know that I'm praying for you. I've had my own health struggles and understand how emotional they can be as well. God has used it in my life as a huge stepping stone. I know that He's working in your heart as well.

Theo-Ann said...

Thanks for your words of encouragement and prayers, Erin. You're in my prayers, too.:)