Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A great way to cool off on a hot summer day...

...is to eat lots of lemon sherbet! This stuff is so good, that I can eat it more than once a day if I let myself. If you have an ice cream maker, you will want to make a batch of this before the summer is over.

I found the recipe in a book called, Soda Fountain Classics, by Elsa Petersen-Schepelern. I bought it at Barnes and Noble with a gift card a few months ago. Inside the book, there's a short history on soda fountain shops and ice cream parlors. Recipes for several kinds of sundaes, malted milkshakes, custard-based ice creams, ice cream cones, sauces and syrups are included. They all look so yummy! Wouldn't it be a fun thing to have an ice cream social at church with some of the things included in this book?

Lemon Sherbet

1 cup sugar
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 cup very cold milk

Put the sugar, lemon zest, and 1 cup water in a saucepan and heat until the sugar dissolves. Chill. Stir in the lemon juice. Pour the milk into the ice cream maker, then add the lemon water. Churn and serve. Makes about 3 cups.

Note: I usually double the batch when I make this. I also use half milk and half whipping cream (instead of using all milk) to make it creamier.

No comments: