Sunday, May 31, 2009

Give 'em a high five!

It was promotion Sunday today, so it was time to give everyone a "high five!" All the kids who finished kindergarten this year moved to the older kids jr. church as the new first graders. I thought it would be fun to make something for all of the kids in our K4/K5 jr. church today.

After much thought, I came up with the idea of making "high five" pencils. It took just having some felt and the sewing machine to put these together. They are pencil toppers as well as finger puppets. I thought the kids would enjoy giving each other "high fives" with these little hands.

It all started with these Pottery Barn pencils that my mom gave me a while back. She thought that our jr. church kids would love these. But, I didn't want to just give them the pencils as they were---so that's where the fun pencil topper idea came in. They are chubby pencils which are great for small hands learning how to write.

I told the kids what these were for, and they loved it. They immediately began giving each other "high fives!" Right before their parents came in to take them home, they were all using their pencils to write and color on their papers. It was amazing to hear the silence! This small gift was so fun for them and I am glad.

Some of the kids enjoyed putting it on their fingers. I told them to give their parents a "high five" when they saw them. The parents got a kick out of these as well. So much fun!!!

Do any of you have something you do for promotion Sunday at your church? I would love to hear your ideas.

2 comments:

The Watts Family said...

Those are really cute!~ Blessings

Theo-Ann said...

Thanks.:) The kids just loved them!