Sunday, May 24, 2009

Family devotions

This week, Q and I will be celebrating our three-year anniversary! So, I've decided to devote the next few days to sharing some things related to our marriage. Tonight after the church service, we're heading up to the mountains to a small town called Estes Park. It will be fun to get away, relax and celebrate our anniversary (which is actually this Wednesday, the 27th).

The first thing I wanted to share with you is what we do in our family devotions. We haven't regularly done this since day 1, but I must say that I'm so glad we're consistent with this now. I've heard the saying, "A family that prays together stays together." When our marriage is focused on God and His Word, it's a lot easier to make decisions together and get along! We've been using The Reese Chronological Bible and Majesty Hymns during our devotion time before we head to bed. This type of Bible is not the same as a regular Bible as it is in chronological order. It's been very interesting to read it this way. After Q reads a couple chapters, we sing a song out of the hymnal. We've been going in order so that we don't miss any! We want to learn some new ones along the way. When we're done singing, we get on our knees and pray. We pray for our marriage, our families, the ministry and more specific needs like someone's salvation or health. I love this time that we spend together. I believe it's brought us closer to the Lord and to each other.

What do you all do in your family devotions? I would love to hear your ideas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to you Theo and Q!!
Have a wonderful and romantic time together in Estes, its beautiful there, perhaps Trail Ridge Road is open now, always beautiful up there, you feel like your on top of the world, definetly closer to God:)
I love your devotions ideas Theo and when Buddy and I pray, sing , read God's Word together we too feel so much closer as husband and wife:)
Christina

Theo-Ann said...

Thanks, Christina. We had a great time in Estes together. It was beautiful (as always) even though it rained a little. I'm glad you like the devotions ideas. I'm always looking for more though, so if you think of anything, let me know.:)