Saturday, May 9, 2009

Primrose pincushions

I hand-stitched these pretty pincushions for my mom and mother-in-law for Mother's Day this year. I used a pattern from Sew Simple Magazine, volume 11. Each one took me about an hour to make. I was very pleased with the end result so much, that I am now trying to figure out a reason for making more! Wouldn't these be awesome party favors for a ladies luncheon? All of our sewing friends would love these for sure!

These pincushions can fit inside the palm of your hand, but the circle pattern can be enlarged to make bigger ones. I used some scrap fabric and felt that I already had to make them. All you do is sew a gathering stitch around the outside of the circle, then pull. Add some fiberfill, then stitch the opening closed. I decorated one flower center with fabric paint and the other with thread. To attach the centers, put the threaded needle through the buttons and pull through to the bottom of the pincushion. The felt leaves all have hand-stitched designs in colors that match the fabric. I stitched those on to the bottom of the pincushions to complete the project.

I used pink thread to stitch loops on this brown leaf.

It was very simple to stitch around this flower center using red thread.

Although I love them all, this may be my favorite leaf of all! I stitched around the outside of the leaf before making these x's in the center.

I glued these bug buttons onto straight pins and added them to the gift. I know both moms will love these! They're so practical, cute and fun!

No comments: