Thursday, October 21, 2010

Monkey story time

I started back up again as a story teller for the library. Each month, I'll do two story times at the local recreation center's day care. I had so much fun with the kids this week. They are a cute bunch!

This month's theme was monkeys. I found a new "hello" song to sing with the kids when I arrived.

"Hello Time" (to the tune of "Oh, Susanna")

Oh, it's time to say hello, hello
Hello and how are you?
Oh, it's time to say hello, hello
To everyone of you.

Hello friends, a big "hello" to you!
We will sing and read and laugh today,
Yes, this is what we'll do.

The first book I read was the classic, Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina. A peddler rests by a tree and discovers that his caps have been taken by several monkeys. I won't tell you the end, but it is a fun one to read if you haven't done so already.

I pulled out Marvin Monkey out of my bag to greet the kids. He also helped me tell the poem, "Jonathan Bing."

Poor old Jonathan Bing
went out in his carriage to visit the King,
But everyone pointed and said, "Look at that!
Jonathan Bing has forgotten his hat!"
(He'd forgotten his hat!)

Poor old Jonathan Bing
went home and put on a new hat for the King,
But by the palace the soldier said, "Hi!
You can't see the King; you've forgotten your tie!"
(He'd forgotten his tie!)

Poor old Jonathan Bing,
He put on a beautiful tie for the King,
But when he arrived, and Archbishop said, "Ho!
You can't come to court in pajamas, you know!"

Poor old Jonathan Bing
went home and addressed a short not to the King:
"If you please will excuse me, I won't come to tea;
For home's the best place for all people like me!"

The next two books I read were Monkey and Me by Emily Gravett and Five Little Monkeys sitting in a tree, by Eileen Christelow. After that last book, I used a glove puppet with five little monkeys and a crocodile to retell the story with the kids.

One by one those monkeys disappeared as I told the poem...

Five little monkeys swinging in a tree.
Teasing Mr. Crocodile, "You can't catch me! You can't catch me!"
Along comes Mr. Crocodile, as quiet as can be and he... (the children use two hands with palms together to clap shut like a crocodile's mouth.)
SNAPPED that monkey right out of the tree!

Continue the poem, but begin the succeeding verses with four, three, two, and finally, one little monkey. The last verse is said as follows:

No more monkeys swinging in the tree,
Only Mr. Crocodile
Happy as can be!

As I ended the story time, I brought Marvin Monkey back out to give the kids a hug. I sang the same good-bye song as last year. It's sung to the tune of the "Mickey Mouse good-bye song."

Now it's time to say good-bye,
good-bye to all of you,
Have a great day; read some good books
And I'll see you real soon.

I can't wait until next month--I'll be sure to tell you about it. Hope it gives you ideas on a story time you can do with the children in your life. :)

Until next time...

No comments: