Monday, October 26, 2009

How to keep your china looking its best

It's been fun getting all of our things organized in our new home. A couple days ago, I washed and put the china away in a small cabinet that we use for storing  crystal, china, and other serving pieces. Someday, I'll get a real china cabinet, but in the meantime, this works.

I've been reading a book called, Good Things For Organizing, by Martha Stewart. There are some things that she does that I just can't do because it would be too expensive, or we just don't have this or that. But--there are many things she does that I just love because of the detail, simplicity or beauty of it. This book goes through each room in the house and gives practical tips for organizing. 

She gave a tip on using felt pads to keep your china looking great. When stacked, the bottom of one can scratch the one under it. Now, my china set is an older one, passed down to me by a friend several years ago, but I'd still like to keep it as long as possible. Who knows when Q and I will be able to afford a brand new set--maybe never, but that's okay. We don't use the china too often anyway. I've thought recently that perhaps I should use it more. Why save it just for special occasions? 

Okay, now to how to make your own felt pads....

Simply cut rounds of felt slightly smaller than the plates and stack them. I found bowls and large mugs to trace onto the felt with a pen, then cut out the circle shapes. I used pinking shears like she did, and they look so pretty! I placed one on top (although not necessary), to keep that plate clean. Really easy, eh?

If you don't have felt, you can use acid-free paper. You can also use felt pieces to put in your stainless steel pots to keep them from scratching each other. 

Now, have fun cutting out your felt circles and using your china a bit more. :)

2 comments:

The Watts Family said...

That is a really great idea thanks for sharing. I do not have any china but I would love to get some, I always see such pretty sets at the thrift store. I am just holding off until I know we won't be moving. I will have to remember this tip. ~Your cupboard looks wonderful praying you are settling in with much peace and enjoyment in your new home. ~Blessings Heather

Theo-Ann said...

Thanks for your kind words, Heather. Hope you all are settling in well, too.