Friday, October 16, 2009

Bailey's paisley skirt

Our niece, Bailey, just turned six earlier this month. Her present was the other one that had to wait because of our move. I'm now back on track and I should be able to keep up with hand made gifts for family. I made her a simple skirt using Simplicity pattern #9854. Since the pattern goes to size 6x, I made it a bit bigger so that she could wear it this next spring and summer. Do you recognize the fabric?

I used both fabrics and rick rack for the bag I made for her "going to school" package. When I went to cut out the fabric, I realized I did not have enough of the paisley for both the front and back. So, this was the first time I pieced fabric together like this and thought it turned out well. I did want to incorporate the green fabric somewhere, like on the top or bottom of the skirt, but I'm pleased with this end result.

I love details, don't you? Rick rack is becoming a new favorite embellishment of mine.

I think the skirt and bag go well together. With a cute white top to go with the skirt, and her bag with favorite books in tow, she'll be looking soooo cute! And I've heard that she loves to read. Perfect! It will be a great outfit for school or for a trip to the library.

Happy "belated" birthday, Bailey!

2 comments:

The Watts Family said...

Oh that is so cute! Can't wait to see a picture of her in it. That will look so nice with just a plain T ~you did a great job! Blessings Heather :D

Theo-Ann said...

Thanks--I'm eager to see her in it, too.