Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Mia's early birthday present

Mia will be seven years old next month, so I decided to give her an early birthday present. It was fun to give it to her in person and see the reaction on her face. She loved every part of it!:)

The first thing I put together was a sewing kit: 

My mom has been teaching her the basics of sewing, so I thought it would be neat for her to have her very own kit handy whenever the two of them got together to work on projects.

I used a plastic 3x5 card holder box with a flip-top lid to hold all of the tools. 

Here's what I put inside:

several small spools of thread in various colors
a pincushion with an assortment of pins
two fabric marking pencils
a small bag of buttons in various shapes, colors and sizes
tape measure
seam ripper
needle threader
a packet of needles
thread scissors
thimble
four fabric remnants rolled up and tied with ribbon for her to make small projects with

Have any of you put one together, and if so, what else have you included? I think this would be a neat gift idea for any one learning how to sew.

I also knitted a bookmark and put it inside a copy of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, by C.S. Lewis. The directions to make the bookmark came from the book, Knitting Pretty, by Kris Percival. I used size 8 needles and cast on 18 stitches. Then I knit 8 rows of garter stitch. After binding off, I left an 8-inch tail. The tails were woven into the center of the top edge of the bookmark. Then, I knotted them to form the tassel.

Remember this scarf that I made recently? She liked it a lot and asked many questions about how I made it. I told her that she could make one some day. Speaking of knitting...we finished a project together, so I'll be posting about that next!:)

Stay tuned....

2 comments:

Tania said...

Love the sewing kit idea!

Theo-Ann said...

Glad you like it, Tania....how are things going with you all?:)