Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Poetry Treasures

For a class in college, I had to make my own poetry file. I turned an ordinary 4x6 index card box into a treasure chest and called it Poetry Treasures.

I used felt, gold curling ribbon and a gold pen to decorate the outside. I lined the inside of the box with red felt and gold sequins along the top edge.

Then, the search began for the box to be filled with lots of fun poems for kids of all ages! I hand-wrote a myriad of them from different books, them placed them in categories.  My categories include:

All about me
Beautiful birds
Bugs
By the Sea
Family
Friends
Food
Fun and Adventure
God's World
Holidays
Houses
Imaginations
Land Animals
Limericks
Manners
Months of the Year
Narrative
Nonsense
Occupations
Our Bodies
Our Great God
People
Places
School
Seasons
Weather

My kindergarten students enjoyed a poem or two at the end of the school day. I think their favorites were limericks. I'll share a couple of them with you--they are really fun for everyone!

There was a young lady of Lynn
Who was so uncommonly thin,
That when she essayed 
To drink lemonade,
She slipped through the straw and fell in.

There was an old man of Peru
Who dreamed he was eating his shoe.
He woke in the night
In a terrible fright, 
And found it was perfectly true.

Hope this gives you a start in creating your own poetry file. You can decorate your box however you wish and fill it with poems for your children or students to enjoy.

1 comment:

The Watts Family said...

What a great idea!! ~Thanks for sharing ~Blessings Heather ;D