Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Mia's super hero cape

After seeing (and trying on) the capes I've made for little brother Jaden, Mia told me she wanted one of her own. She loved the pirate cape I made for Jaden at Christmas so much that I think she may have worn it more than him! Between the two of us, we decided that I'd make a reversible cape with one side showing a pirate princess, and the other side a super girl logo (like Superman, only pink!).

Mia's birthday is this week, so this cape is already on its way to California. I know that she'll like it a lot. The fabrics I used for both sides were pretty thin, so when I stitched the ties around the collar, it bunched up some. It's not perfect, but I think it turned out all right. I kept the measurements from Jaden's cape, and did the best I could to replicate it. It's about two and a half feet from where the top of the cape will lie below her neck. I placed velcro tabs on the ties, but if that doesn't fit right, Mia can tie them around her neck. 

I drew the Superman logo freehand on a piece of pink felt. I glued that onto a piece of dark pink felt before stitching this applique onto the cape. Both appliques were stitched first before the two capes were stitched together.

I used this same skull and crossbones pattern for Jaden's pirate cape. I used fabric paint to write the words "Pirate Princess" on the crossbones. I also added a crown to the top of the skull. 

Happy Birthday, Mia! We love you! --Uncle Q and Auntie Cuqui (pronounced "cookie"--it's been my nickname since I was a kid, and I sure love being called that by my sister's kids.)

2 comments:

The Watts Family said...

Very Cute! My children lived in capes when they were younger they liked to pretend they were hobbits so they always wanted boring brown capes! Unlike your colorful wonderful creations ~Blessings Heather ;-)

Theo-Ann said...

Thanks! I called Mia a little while ago and she got it just in time for her birthday which is today. I asked her if she liked it and she said, "I LOVE it!":)