Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Dulce de leche banana cream pie

It's that time of year again--the annual pie baking contest at our church is this coming Sunday and I can't wait!  I have just chosen what pie I'll be doing this year, but in the meantime, I thought I'd share with you this delicious pie that I made for last year's contest.  I didn't win a prize, but many told me that they enjoyed eating their little slice of this pie.  If you love the combination of banana and caramel, this treat is for you.

dulce de leche banana cream pie

2 (14 oz.) cans sweetened condensed milk
1 9-inch pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
3 medium bananas
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons sour cream

1.  Heat condensed milk in unopened cans in a pot of boiling water for 4 hours.  Cool completely before opening.  The milk turns into dulce de leche when it has cooled.
2.  While cans of condensed milk are cooling, bake crust according to directions.  Cool on a wire rack.
3.  Slice 2 bananas.  Spread half of dulce de leche in crust; top with sliced bananas.  Spread remaining dulce de leche over bananas.  Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
4.  Just before serving, combine heavy cream and sour cream in a bowl.  Whip, using a mixer on high speed, until soft peaks form.  Spread over pie.  Slice remaining banana and use to garnish pie.  If you have any caramel sauce on hand, drizzle over the pie as well.

Absolute yumminess--enjoy!

1 comment:

Erin said...

This looks soooooooo good.