Saturday, December 13, 2008

Simple Christmas story character costumes

I have been busy working on making Christmas gifts for family. (I'll show those pictures after the new year, so that they remain a surprise!)  In the midst of all of that, I was asked to make a few costumes for the upcoming Sunday School Christmas program.  I've never done anything like this before, but I was supplied with a sample, picture and measurements to go by.  This picture shows one of the outfits I made--an overcoat with an undercoat (tunic).  Instead of making separate sleeves, all I did was cut out two pieces and stitch them together.  In the back, a notch was made to make it easier for the child to slip his head through.  I hemmed the neckline, sleeves, and bottom of each tunic.

It's been a crazy week, but God's enabled me to make all that was needed for this Wednesday night's program.  In total, I stitched up 3 headpieces, 2 overcoats and 5 undercoats (tunics).  It was quite the experience, but I was glad I could do this despite my beginner sewer abilities.  I was able to see the costumes on the kids tonight at the rehearsal, but also can't wait to see the actual program itself.  It's neat to be a part of something that will touch the hearts and lives of all who attend that night.  

No comments: