Friday, June 24, 2011

T-shirt capes

This past spring, two of our nephews and one niece turned two years old. Since I painted t-shirts for Eli, Carson and Josie's first birthdays, I thought it would be fun to come up with another t-shirt creation this year, too.

After some thought, the t-shirt cape idea came to be. I'm sure there are different variations out there, but perhaps these pictures will inspire you to make these fun and simple t-shirts for the little ones in your life.

First up--Josie's t-shirt cape....

For each shirt, I cut out their monogram out of fabric that I also used for the cape. I first glued the letters with fabric glue, let it partially dry, then stitched them with the machine.

I also stitched this three-layered heart on the back that matched the polka-dots on the fabric.

Eli's shirt is next....

I was glad to find awesome plaid fabrics for both boys' shirts.

Because boys really like to be superheros, the lightning applique' on the back was perfect.

Last but not least is Carson's t-shirt...

And just like Eli's, the lightning bolt on the back really stands out!

Each cape was slightly longer than the length of the shirt. It was hemmed all the way around. Then, I stitched velcro to the top corners of each cape and at the shoulders of each shirt.

To help you see what these shirts look like in action, my sil, Abigail, sent me a couple of pictures of Carson wearing his.

Doesn't he look awesome with that hat on, too? (So cute!)

All three kids are having fun playing in their t-shirt capes. Perhaps this is something you can do for the young ones in your family. It's such a perfect time to do it, too! Summer is full of imaginative play!

Happy Sewing! :)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness so cute !!! Def would like to make this for my daughter and nephew!