Friday, December 31, 2010

A treat for our neighbors

Another gift I made for Christmas was some of this home made candy....

I knew that the neighbors would enjoy receiving a package of these on Christmas Eve, so I set out to make them. You can see that there's chocolate on the tops of them, but do you know what else makes them unique?

When you turn the pieces over, you can see what the bottom layer is....

...yup--saltine crackers! The middle layer is a mix of brown sugar and butter, which makes it taste like toffee. It is delicious! I was so glad to have found the recipe here, from Money Saving Mom. She found them in a book and they are called, "crookies", but she has renamed them, "World's easiest Christmas candy." Yes, they are sooo easy--and addicting, too!

I found some holiday treat bags to place some in. Then, I placed a label on the front and tied some ribbon at the top of each bag. Along with the bag, I left our Christmas picture card and letter. They all loved it and were appreciative of this gift. I think it's a great way to reach out to your neighbors and share the love of Christ with them.

You have to try the recipe, if you've never made anything like it. After packaging up the small gifts, I had a few pieces for Q to try. He thought they were great, and went looking for more in the freezer....but there was none left! No doubt I will be making these again in the near future.:)

No comments: