Thursday, August 19, 2010

Kid-published books

A favorite activity I did with my students for a few years was to make our own class book. I used a kit called Illustory, put out by a company called Creations by You. The kit comes with everything you need to make a top-quality illustrated book. It even includes the markers for kids to draw their own pictures.

Together, the students and I came up with the title and what we wanted to include in our book. Each one is about our year together. I assigned a page or two to each student. They had to tell me what they wanted to say on their page then illustrate it. In the kit, there is a way to order more copies, so I offered this to the parents so that they could have a treasured keepsake for their child.

Here are a few of my favorite pages...

This is the first day of school page. I just love kids' drawings. They're always so cute!

This one is a picture of one of the toads we had in our classroom.

This one is about the play we put on at the end of the year for the parents. It was part of the Kindergarten graduation. Can you guess what story we did? If you guessed "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" you're right!

Hope this gives you a neat idea for you to do with the children in your life. The company, Creations by You, also has other items that can be given that personalized touch. Go over there and check it out!

No comments: