Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Butterfly applique' onesie

God has given us some great renters and we're thankful that things have been going well these past several months. Q and I both had the idea of giving them a gift for their new baby girl, who was born recently. I decided to do an applique' on a onesie for her.

I gathered four different purple fabrics to make this butterfly. I first drew out the design on card stock and cut out the pieces. Then, I traced the pattern onto the fabrics and cut those out. The trickiest thing about sewing on little pieces is making sure it stays where you want it to be. I used pins, but I know that you can probably use iron-on adhesive first before stitching it in place.

I used a zig-zag stitch for the wings and body. Because the antennae were tiny, I used a regular stitch and did that only through the center of them. My machine will eat up those tiny pieces if you use any other stitch on them. Then it's hard to get them unstuck!

All in all, this was a fun project to do--and it didn't take me all day, either. If you haven't tried applique' yet, you've got to. It's a fun and easy way to dress up anything in your wardrobe as well as make a simple hand made gift. 

1 comment:

The Watts Family said...

Oh that is so adorable!! Love it!! you did a great job ~Blessings Heather