Sunday, January 24, 2010

Our time at the stock show

This past Friday, Q and I went to the National Western Stock Show in Denver. He invited Hugh to go along with us. He is a real cowboy and knows all there is to know about riding horses and roping cattle. He is a funny character and always makes me laugh at church. Today he said, "Hi there, barrel racing girl." We did see some barrel racing girls at the stock show, but I wasn't one of them! I really like horses, but haven't ridden one in a long time. I don't consider myself a cowgirl by any means!

During the show, Hugh talked about how the cowboys were doing things with the animals. He still remembers things from his ranch days long ago.

Along with bull riding, cowboys rode on bucking broncos. I'm glad that some of them chose to wear a helmet. No one got hurt badly, but there was one who had his leg caught under a horse after it fell down. 

Half way through the show, they brought out these beautiful Clydesdales pulling a wagon.

One of the neatest things to watch was two cowboys roping a calf. One would get the rope around its neck while the other got his back legs. The calves seemed so helpless, but they weren't hurt one bit.

Q and I had a great time being together. We also enjoyed our time with Hugh. Ministry isn't just about being an encouragement and help at church. It goes beyond that. I'm thankful that we can be a blessing to others in different settings. With Hugh, we were at a place that was just perfect for him. And that made our hearts smile.

1 comment:

The Watts Family said...

Wonderful and so true! I am sure the Lord blessed your fellowship together ~Thanks for sharing Love Heather :)