Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fudgy Cocoa Drops

A few days ago, I made a batch of these fudgy cocoa drops to give to some friends who invited us over for lunch. We were bombarded with snow between Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning, so it was a perfect time to make more of these scrumptious cookies.

Fudgy Cocoa Drops 
(another great recipe from Taste of Home)

1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
4-1/2 teaspoons milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground almonds

In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in almonds. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Roll dough into 12 balls. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 13-18 minutes or until set and tops are cracked. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

The recipe only makes a dozen so feel free to double it up--or quadruple it like I did. I decided to package up some for three close neighbors who I don't know very well yet. I hope that by giving some cookies that it has opened up doors for me and Q to tell them about the Lord and invite them to church. They were all pleasantly surprised by my gift and I was glad to have some fun conversation getting to know my new neighbors.

On top of the cookies, I placed a wrapped packaged of tea bags. I hope that this gift gave them some warmth on a snowy day and that it started a ministry with our neighbors.

What have you all done to reach out to your neighbors? I would love to hear your ideas as I desire to reach out to them in the days ahead.

No comments: